Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ready or Not: Here Comes 30


I'll be celebrating my 30th birthday in a little over a week (June 4th). I've been thinking about this a lot lately -whether we like it or not, some birthdays are landmarks. And while I'm a little sad to say farewell to my roaring, rambling 20's, I'm actually pretty excited about my 30s.

I've decided that the best place to turn for reflection and inspiration about turning 30 is the wonderful film Batman Begins. I was very gratified to notice that Bruce Wayne celebrates his 30th birthday in this film. This means that, at 30, he has only just started wearing a cape and mask and jumping around on rooftops. And does he have it all together? Does Bruce have it all figured out at 30? Heck no! A bunch of ninjas show up at his birthday party and burn down his house. Let's not forget that these guys were his old school friends (if you count ninja-training as school). And Bruce even gets blamed for the whole mess.

Now I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "maybe Ben wants me to come burn down his house next week." Well, if that's what you're thinking (Ryan) then you've kind of missed the point.

The point is that now I'm finally grown up enough to put on a cape and mask and go jumping around on rooftops!